It all started with an idea of a step sequencer designed to control the HEXE BitCrusher pedal via the expression pedal input. After few chats, some brainstorming, optimizing the list of features the project evolved into a versatile two channel modulation signal generator including in addition to the step sequencer: an LFO (sin waveform), ramp up/down mode and a random sample and hold option for the step sequencer.
The Lunochod is compatible with the following HEXE Pedals:
- Bitcrusher III,
- BitCrusher III custom versions and studio edition,
- Spacetime Modulator,
- The Carrier,
- Radar Phase.
The Lunochod is equipped with two identical channels: A and B. The enclosure is split in two halves, the controls for each channel are mirrored and the global controls, common for both channels are placed on the center line.
Global controls for both channels:
- Speed - manual speed control,
- Inertia - speed change response, allows to produce a speed up or slow down effect,
- Tap tempo footswitch (sec. function - Edit mode),
- Step/Cycle switch mode for step sequencer.
Inertia - this parameter controls the amount of time the generator will need to reach the set frequency. At minimum the frequency change will be instant without any lag. When increased, the modulation frequency will slowly speed up or slow down before locking up to the set modulation frequency. In order to change the Inertia parameter you need to do the following steps:
- hold down the TAP footswitch for about 2 sec untill the tempo LED stops blinking, you are now in EDIT mode,
- set the desired Inertia value using the Speed (Inertia) knob,
- press the TAP footswitch one more time, the value will be saved in internal memory, the setting won't be lost after powering off the pedal.
- Manual - this knob sets the output value when the channel is OFF,
Wave - generator mode:
- Step - step sequencer,
- LFO - SIN low frequency oscillator,
- RND - random sample and hold,
- Ramp - ramp up or ramp down.
- Amplitude - output level control,
- Filter - lowpass filter applied to the generated waveform,
- Bias - center or the DC shift value for the output waveform,
- Channel ON/OFF footswitches - use them to activate the corresponding modualtor channel or to ramp up or down the ouput in RAMP mode.
Step sequencer - there are eight available steps. The value for each step is set with the knob, set it to zero to turn off the desired step. It will be bypassed in the whole cycle.
LFO - classic sinusoidal low frequency oscillator, frequency range from 0.15Hz to 19Hz.
Random sample and hold - additional mode for the step sequencer. The step values are random instead of the knob settings.
Ramp Up/Down - in this mode the channel output can be slowly ramped up or down within the full scale. The ramp slope is controlled by the Speed knob and the direction is set using the channel footswitches:
- short click - ramp up (channel LED color red), the ramp stops when it reaches the upper limit (the LED goes off),
- press and hold - ramp down (channel LED color green), the ramp stops when it reaches the bottom limit (the LED goes off).
- Channel A output, jack stereo TRS,
- Channel B output, jack stereo TRS.
Always use a stereo jack-jack cable to connect the Lunochod with the expression pedal inputs!!!
- Power requirement: 9VDC, 45mA, center negative,
- Output voltage range: 0 - 3.3V, positive only.
Demo videos / Sound Samples: